Game 12 Preview: Gatemen play Whitecaps on a rainy day at Spillane Field
WAREHAM – The Gatemen (7-4) return home to Spillane Field to battle with the Brewster Whitecaps (3-6-1) at 6:30 p.m. here in Wareham.
For the first time all season, the Gatemen have a multi-game losing streak. The Gatemen dropped their game Friday night against Bourne 4-3 and lost last night to the Orleans Firebirds 10-3.
The Gatemen were tied with Orleans 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh when 1B Logan Wyatt knocked in the go-ahead run with two down. The Firebirds caught fire from there and scored four more runs in the seventh with two out and pushed across two more in the eighth for good measure.
The Gatemen bullpen allowed nine runs in just five innings of work.
Following last night’s game, RHP Zach Hart (0-0, 4.15 ERA) was removed from the Gatemen roster. Hart pitched in two games throwing 4.1 innings striking out four and had given up six hits.
RHP Tyler Ahearn took the place of Hart and filled the roster spot. Ahearn is a rising sophomore at Florida State University and is coming off an average freshman season for the Seminoles. Ahearn went 1-0 and pitched in 11 games and posted a 5.50 ERA in those games.
As for the Whitecaps, they ended a five-game winless streak last night, coming back to beat the Cotuit Kettleers 5-4. Brewster had been 0-4-1 in their previous five games and got outscored 24-12 over that stretch. In addition, the Whitecaps had not scored a run in back-to-back games before their win last night.
The Whitecaps were down 4-3 entering the ninth, but came back to walk it off scoring two in the final frame. Brewster was the beneficiary of a based loaded error which tied the game. The next batter, Joseph Donovan, knocked in the winning run with an RBI sacrifice fly.
Today’s game marks the first of four matchups between the Whitecaps and the Gatemen this season. The next matchup between these two squads comes on July 6 when the Gatemen go on the road to Brewster.
Before looking at the starting lineups for each team, here are the Gatemen who are off to hot starts and those who are not:
- RHP Tyler Keysor (Miami)- Keysor has pitched 4.1 innings this season and only allowed one run. Keysor has had scoreless appearances three out of four times and boasts a 2.07 ERA.
- OF Jeremy Ydens (UCLA)- In his four games with the Gatemen, Ydens is hitting .471 (8-17) and has recorded leadoff base hits in three of four games.
- SS Bryson Stott (UNLV)- Stott has reached base safely in all 10 games he’s played this season. Stott is also the only Gatemen with more walks than strikeouts (seven walks, six strikeouts). On defense, Stott has played nine straight games of error-free baseball.
- LF Bryant Packard (ECU)- Packard is hitting .211 (3-15) over the past seven days with seven strikeouts. Packard started the season off recording hits in five straight games.
- RHP Brendan White (Siena)- White has allowed runs in two of three appearances this year (three runs in four innings).
- RHP Jared Horn (UCLA)- Horn has allowed multiple runs in both of his appearances this season. Horn took the loss and allowed four runs to Orleans on June 17 his last time out.
LHP Easton Lucas (0-1, 3.00 ERA) is the scheduled starter today for the Gatemen. The left hander from Pepperdine was the hard luck loser last time out in his season debut. Lucas threw three innings and allowed just one run against Harwich. However, the Gatemen offense was shutout that day and Wareham lost 2-0.
LHP Zack Thompson (0-0, 5.40 ERA) will be opposing Lucas for the Whitecaps tonight. This will be Thompson’s first start of the season as he came in out of the bullpen in his first appearance on June 17. In that game, Thompson allowed three runs (one earned) in 1.2 innings in a loss to the Hyannis Harbor Hawks.
Here are today’s lineups:
- Jeremy Ydens, RF - UCLA
- Sahid Valenzuela, 2B – Cal State Fullerton
- Andrew Vaughn, 1B - California
- Bryant Packard, LF - ECU
- Bryson Stott, SS - UNLV
- Parker Phillips, DH – Austin Peay
- Ryan Kreidler, 3B – UCLA
- Drew Millas, C – Missouri State
- Skyler Hunter, CF - Purdue
SP.Easton Lucas, LHP - Pepperdine
- Austin Lively, 3B – Seattle
- Ray Alejo, CF – Central Florida
- Mike Massey, 2B – Illinois Champai
- Conor Grammes, DH – Xavier
- Hunter Bishop, RF – ASU
- Joe Donovan, C – Michigan
- Dominick Canzone, LF – Ohio State
- Cameron Eden, SS – California
- Chris Wright, 1B - Bryant
SP.Zack Thompson, LHP - Kentucky