Learning Library gives thanks for a growing garden
To the Editor:
For the past five months, the Learning Garden at the Wareham Free Library has been growing gardeners, readers and volunteers as well as plants. From the making of the new raised beds in May, through the Summer Reading Program to garden clean-up in September, dozens of people have tended the growing plants and growing learners. Now that the last tomatoes have been picked, it’s time to say thank you to:
- Nora Bicki, for an interactive lesson in recycling.
- Dave Fredrickson for building the new garden beds.
- Jared Fredrickson for being a volunteer garden intern.
- The Friends of the Wareham Free Library for funding the summer program.
- Marcia Hickey, children’s librarian, for creating and leading the summer reading program.
- Morse Lumber for building supplies.
- Rainforest Reptiles for slithery fun.
- Rob Shaheen, Director of Food Services, Wareham Public Schools, for garden and activity supplies and bringing the summer lunch program to the library.
- Ben Suddard for a hands-on oyster farming presentation.
- Tabor Academy for enthusiastic garden workers.
- The Toe Jam Puppet Band for the Summer Reading Program’s grand finale.
- Wareham Works for three interns.
- Patty Wylde for the beautiful hydrangeas.
- All the parents, grandparents, and caretakers who brought youngsters to the garden and storytime activities.
Your time, talent, and effort have been a gift to everyone who came for stories and crafts and everyone who worked and played in the garden.
Sincerely, Johnna Fredrickson
Learning Library Gardener