Onset Bay Association launches Fourth of July fireworks drive
The town's fireworks display was brought back in 2017 after a brief hiatus, and to avoid dark skies this Fourth of July, the Onset Bay Association is already raising funds for this year's show.
“Soon, letters will be going out to businesses, the boating community and citizens that have donated in the past,” said Onset Bay Association President Kat Jones.
Each year, the association must raise $40,000 for the show, which takes place over Onset Bay. Jones said in 2016 fundraising efforts fell short and the display was cancelled for the first time in “many, many years.”
“We hope to avoid that again moving forward,” she said.
Many people stepped up to help in 2017, including longtime Onset resident John Decas. Last year, he donated $25,000 to the association. Each year, $5,000 of that sum will be used to offset the cost until all the funds are spent.
“It’s nice not having to start from scratch every year,” said Jones.
In addition to receiving individual donations, the association hosted several fundraisers throughout the year. Jones said another round of fundraisers, such as auctions and a T-shirt design contest, are in the works.
Not counting Decas’ contribution, Jones said the drive has already netted $1,500 in its first few days. She encouraged anyone interested in donating to visit the Onset Bay Association’s website at: www.onsetbay.org. Click on the “donations” tab to make a contribution.
Anyone interested in learning more about the association or the fireworks drive is encouraged to visit its upcoming open house, set for Feb. 23 from 5 to 8 p.m. The event will be held in the association’s new office, located at 196 Onset Ave.