Onset daycare deemed safe after natural gas leak

Dec 15, 2018

A daycare center in Onset has resumed operations after a natural gas leak on Dec. 14 prompted faculty and kids to evacuate the building located at 314 Onset Ave. 

According to reports from the Onset Fire Department, the leak at Cape Cod Child Development occurred around 10:31 a.m. on Friday morning.

Faculty at the at the daycare reported smelling a gas-like odor outside the building, and Onset firefighters responding to the scene said they immediately found a leaking gas meter.

Firefighters entered the daycare after shutting the meter off and found that the odor of natural gas was also present in a section of the building’s basement.

As a precaution, 45 children and 10 faculty members were then evacuated. No injuries were reported.

National Grid later arrived on scene to correct the leak at the meter and Wareham’s Plumbing and Gas Inspector deemed the building safe following these repairs.