Woman, baby escape out window during house fire caused by hoverboard

Oct 9, 2021

A woman and her infant had to escape out a window after a charging hoverboard started a fire in her home on Rose Point Avenue, according to the Wareham Fire Department.

At 12:55 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 9, the woman called Wareham Fire, reporting that she was trapped inside her burning house with her infant. The dispatcher, Kenneth Jordan, told her to climb out the window with her child.

She threw pillows out of a first-floor window and placed the infant on the pillows before climbing out the window. 

Firefighters and police officers responded and found the woman and her child outside. The two were brought to Tobey Hospital to be evaluated.

The firefighters quickly contained the fire to the kitchen, and determined that the fire was started by a hoverboard that was charging in the kitchen. 

The smoke and fire cut off the woman’s access to her home’s exits. The home had working smoke alarms.