'Teardrop bandit' sentenced for Wareham bank robbery

Feb 8, 2018

A Rhode Island man, dubbed “The Teardrop Bandit” for donning a fake teardrop face tattoo as a disguise, was sentenced to prison on Jan. 31 in federal court for robbing three banks in 2015, including one in Wareham.

U.S. District Judge Vanessa Bryant sentenced Robert Chadronet, 41, formerly of East Providence, to 90 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release for the robberies.

According to court documents, Chadronet used force, violence and intimidation to rob $697 from a branch of Citizen’s Bank located at 2991 Cranberry Highway in Wareham on Sept. 9, 2015. He also stole $1,000 from a TD Bank located at 1003 West Main St. in Branford, Connecticut on July 27, 2015 and $2,329 from a Citizens Bank at 1187 Boston Post Road in Westbrook, Connecticut on Aug. 27, 2015. During the Wareham robbery, police said Chadronet handed a teller a note that said the bank was being robbed and that he had a weapon.

While committing the crimes, Chadronet was on federal supervised release for a prior bank robbery conviction in Rhode Island. In 2005, he was linked to a robbery at a TD Banknorth in Foxboro. In 2008, he was linked to a Citizens Bank robbery in Mansfield. He was sentenced to four years in prison for the Foxboro heist and another three years for the Mansfield robbery.

During the Foxboro and Mansfield robberies, Chadronet disguised himself with a fake teardrop tattoo on his face and was subsequently dubbed the Teardrop Bandit by police.

He has been detained since Sept. 10, 2015, when he was arrested on state charges related to a bank robbery in Milford, Connecticut that same year. He pleaded guilty in state court for the Milford robbery and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Chadronet was ordered to pay $4,026 in restitution.

This matter has been investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Connecticut State Police, Branford Police Department, Milford Police Department and Wareham Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas P. Morabito.