“Careless disposal of smoking materials” likely caused Main Street fire

Dec 3, 2022

“Careless disposal of smoking materials” most likely caused the devastating fire at 426 Main St. on Saturday, Nov. 19, a Fire Department representative said in a phone call with Wareham Week.

Eight people lost their home when the multi-family dwelling went up in flames, and a fireman and a civilian were taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries. 

The fireman was treated for exertion and released the same day. The condition of the civilian was unknown. 

The fire most likely started outside and behind the house, spreading to the interior and causing significant damage. 

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for the victims at https://www.gofundme.com/f/with-costs-of-moving-after-a-major-house-fire.