Wareham Police arrest man following chase in stolen car

Nov 9, 2019

Wareham Police arrested a man following a chase in a stolen vehicle on Friday morning.  

Police received a call reporting a vehicle being stolen from Chuck’s Auto at 281 Onset Ave. on Friday, Nov. 8, at about 10:40 a.m. The car’s owner saw an unknown man getting into his vehicle and driving out of the lot. 

Here’s what police say happened:

The victim and another man followed the stolen vehicle on Onset Avenue and onto Depot Street. On Depot Street, they pulled beside the stolen vehicle and told the man to stop running. It was reported that the suspect proceeded to make an obscene gesture at the victim and drive off. The vehicle traveled on Route 25, then I-195, and eventually Cranberry Highway, where police intercepted the car.

Officer Calib Larue activated his emergency lights and siren, however, the vehicle sped up and crossed the center line forcing oncoming cars to swerve out of the way. The vehicle was abandoned in the area of the West Wareham Dunkin Donuts on Cranberry Highway, where the man fled on foot. A witness told Officer Larue that the suspect was making his way toward Cumberland Farms, where he was apprehended within a few minutes. Assisting Officer Larue in the arrest were Officer Aaron Pacheco, Sgt. Daniel Flaherty, acting Chief John Walcek, and two detectives.

Stephan Myers, 33, of East Wareham, was transported to Wareham Police headquarters where he was processed and then later taken to Tobey Hospital for an evaluation. When he was cleared by medical staff to return to the police station, he became very combative. He told Officers Pacheco and Larue, “We are doing this the hard way,” forcing the officers, with the assistance of security staff, to physically remove him from the building. Multiple other police officers were dispatched to the hospital, however, Myers was secured in a police car before their arrival.

Later in the afternoon, he was transported by Wareham Police to the Plymouth County House of Correction. He is being held without bail pending an appearance in Wareham District Court on Tuesday. 

He is charged with larceny of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for police, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, speeding, operating with a suspended driver’s license, subsequent offense; marked lanes violation, failure to signal, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace.

After his arrest, Officer Pacheco recognized Myers from a shoplifting incident which occurred on Saturday, Nov. 2, at Cumberland Farms on Depot Street. During that incident he fled before the arrival of officers and is now charged with shoplifting from that case.